Chinese Visa and Tibet Permits

To most foreign tourists, it is necessary to have a valid passport, Chinese Visa and Tibet travel permits for travelling Tibet. Some countries (such as India) may have more or different rules for their citizens travel abroad, To secure a smooth journey, please check your country's travel rules if necessary.  

Usually you'll need to get the Chinese Visa first as a clear scanned copy of it is required for the Tibet travel permit application in Lhasa.

Chinese Visa

If you'll enter Tibet from mainland China (such as Beijing, Chengdu, etc), you can get a "L" visa for individual tourism easily from the China Embassy / Consulate at your place in one or two weeks. (Tips: as Tibet is still a very sensitive place in political issues, you are kindly advised to NOT mention it in the Chinese visa application to avoid the risk of rejection.)

If you'll enter Tibet from Kathmandu, Nepal, it is necessary to get a group visa from the China Embassy in Kathmandu. We'll first obtain approvals (including the Tibet travel permit) from relevant authorities in Tibet and send those documents to our partner in Nepal that will meet you there and help you get the Chinese Visa accordingly.

Tibet Travel Permits

1. Tibet Entry Permit (also called Tibet Travel Permit, Tibet Visa, TTB permit)

This permit is required for foreign tourists entering Tibet safely and legally. It is issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa. You'll need to provide a clear scanned copy of your passport and Chinese Visa as well as your occupation information for the Tibet entry permit application. Below is the sample picture of the permit head:

Head of Tibet Entry Permit

2. Tibet Alien's Travel Permit

When travelling outside Lhasa to some unopened area in Tibet, it is necessary to have this Tibet Alien's Travel Permit. It usually can cover the tours to Tsedang, Gyantse, Shigatse, Mount Everest Reserve etc. Below is the sample picture of Tibet Alien's Travel Permit:

Sample Picture of Tibet Alien's Travel Permit

3. Other Tibet travel permits

When travelling to sensitive and border areas in Tibet such as Mount Kailash, eastern Tibet, a military permit and foreign-affairs permit will be required.

As a local Tibet tour operator, we can help you get all necessary Tibet travel permits as noted above and the Chinese Visa for entering Tibet from Kathmandu, Nepal. Feel free to contact us or book your Tibet tour here.